Full Name: Dr. Basim Obaid Hasan Gender: Male Birthdate: 1972 Nationality: Iraq Degree: PhD Academic Title: Professor College\Center: College of Engineering
Departement: Chemical Engineering Major: Chemical Engineering Specialty: Transport Phenomena/ Corrosion Engineering Occupation: Dean Mother Language: Arabic Work email: firstname.lastname@example.org Personal email: email@example.com
B.Sc in Chemical Eng., Al-Nahrain University/Iraq.
M.Sc in Chemical Eng., Al- Nahrain University/Iraq
Ph.D in Chemical Eng., Al-Nahrain University/Iraq.
Postdoctoral research, Chem. Eng., University of Adelaide, Autralia
Postdoctoral Research, Chem. Eng., Technical Univ. of Berlin, Germany
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
-Teaching of different topics in the Department of Chemical Eng. for about 20 years
- Up to 25 scientific research paper in the field of transport phenomena, Heat transfer, corrosion Eng., fouling, dispersion
-Experienced researcher for Alexander von Humboldt fellowship
-Consultant in the Engineering Bureau/ Al-Nahrain University
1999-2001 External lecturer (M.Sc.) in Baghdad University.
2000-2003 External lecturer (M.Sc) in Chemical and Mechanical Eng. Department and supervisor on the fluid mechanics and heat transfer laboratories in Mechanical Eng. Department/Al-Nahrain University.
2003- Present Faculty member in Chemical Eng. Department of Al-Nahrain University.
2005-2008 Department Director.
At 2-9-2008 Promotion to Assistant Professor in Chemical Engineering.
Oct. 2010- Feb. 2013 Head of Chemical Engineering Department / Al-Nahrain University/ Iraq.
Jan. 2010-Present: Consultant in the Engineering Consultancy Bureau in the fields of chemical process engineering, heat transfer, and corrosion control and cathodic protection.
Dec., 2016- Dec., 2019: Head of Chemical Engineering Department/Al-Nahrain University/Iraq
April. 2018 Promotion to Full Professor in Chemical Engineering.
September, 2020- up to date: Dean of the College of Engineering, Al-Nahrain University, Iraq
Transport Phenomena, Corrosion Engineering, Heat transfer, Dispersion, Fouling
Supervision MSC and PhD theses:
1- Computer Aided Simulation of Galvanic Corrosion under Both Charge and Mass Transfer Control, 2003-2004.
2- Corrosion under Two Phase Flow Conditions (Petroleum Product-Water) Simulated by Turbulently Agitated System, 2004-2005.
3- Prediction of Mass Transfer Coefficient under Two Phase Flow Conditions using Turbulent Diffusion Models, 2005-2006.
4- Corrosion Analysis under Two Phase Flow Conditions, 2006-2007.
5- Momentum and Heat Transfer Analysis in Two Phase Flow, 2006-2007.
6- Analysis of Multi-Metals Galvanic Corrosion under Activation Control Conditions, 2006-2007.
7- A Study of Mass Transfer into a Liquid Falling Film in Spiral Tubes Using CO2-Water System, 2006-2007.
8- Investigation of Factors Affecting the Performance and Control of Biochemical Reactor, 2006-2007.
9- Investigation of Some Corrosion Inhibitors Performance in Aerated Acids. 2008- 2009.
10- Simulation of Iron Corrosion in Aerated Solutions, 2008-2009.
11- Performance and Modeling of Fluidized Bed Reactor Process, 2010-2011.
12- Corrosion of Steel in Acid- Salt solution under flow conditions, 2011-2012.
13- Corrosion of carbon Steel and its control in petroleum- brine mixture under flow conditions, 2012-2013.
14. Crystallization fouling and its mitigation in double pipe heat exchanger, 2013-2014.
15- Investigation of optimum conditions of heat exchanger performance in presence of fouling, 2014-2015.
16. Experimental study and theoretical modeling of turbulent heat transfer on finned surface, 2016-2017
17- Experimental study on the effect of turbulent dispersion on heat exchanger performance, 2017-2018
18- Corrosion and galvanic corrosion of selected metals in the presence of corrosive pollutants, 2017-2018
19- Corrosion behavior of carbon steel and some selected metals in petroleum refinery wastewater, 2018-2019
20- Experimental study for enhancing the energy production from biomass based fuel cell, 2018-2019.
21- Experimental investigation of heat exchanger fouling under free and forced convection conditions, 2019-2020
22- Production of clean energy from biomass based fuel cell and the effect of different operating parameters, 2019-2020
23- Effect of increased salt content of soil on the corrosion of underground petroleum pipelines and the influence on the cathodic protection efficiency in Missan oil filed. 2019-2020
24- Investigation of local hydrodynamics of mixing tanks using different impeller geometries for two phase flow analysis. 2020-2021.
25- Experimental investigation on steels corrosion in dilute and concentrated acid under flow conditions, 2021-2022
26- Effect of crude oil fouling on heat exchanger efficiency in petroleum refineries, 2021-2022
27- Effect of some pollutants on corrosion rate in industrial wastewater and impact of flow velocity, 2022-2023
Supervision on 1 Ph. D thesis
1- Corrosion and galvanic corrosion of different metals in flowing acidic media, 2013-2014
2-Drop breakup in liquid-liquid dispersion; breakage mechanism and effect of operating conditions with CFD simulation, 2021-2022
3- Corrosion analysis and control of steels in oilfield produced-water under different environmental and operating conditions, 2022-2023
Lecture courses in undergraduate and postgraduate (M.Sc and Ph.D) in transport phenomena, Advanced transport phenomena, mathematical modeling, heat transfer, fluid flow, corrosion engineering and cathodic protection, mathematics, engineering statistics, engineering economics.
Recognized research award in 2012 on Al-Nahrain University and on Iraqi Universities 2012.
Grant from CRDF Global “Chemical Security Improvement Grant (CSIG), USA, for the laboratories of Chemical Engineering Department/Al-Nahrain University by $34,000, 2018.
-Grant from Alexander von Humboldt Foundation/Germany to purchase High Speed Camera for scientific research by 20,000 euro, 2018.
-Grant from Midland Refinery Company/Iraq for studying and characterizing the corrosion of tanks and pipelines caused by different pollutant substances.
- Grant from Midland Refinery Company/Iraq for studying and characterizing the cathodic protection of petroleum pipelines.
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation/Germany
-Endeavour Scholarships and Fellowships/ Australia
-March 2011-Feb. 2014: Member in the management committee of the Engineering Consultancy Bureau/Al-Nahrain University.
-September 2011- July 2015: Editor in the Journal of College of Engineering/Al-Nahrain University.
-October 2011- October 2012: Member of Editorial Advisory Board in the Journal of College of Engineering/ the University of Baghdad.
- September 2020 up to date: Editor in Chief of the Al-Nahrain Journal of Engineering Sciences
Conferences, symposiums and workshops
Chairman, Co-Chairman, Scientific committee, researcher in different conferences:
1. The third international conference of Engineering Science, Al-Nahrain University, 2022
2. The Third Conference of Postgarduate Researches and Graduation Projects, College of Engineering, Al-Nahrain University, Iraq, 2021
3. First International Conference for applied sciences humanities, April, 2020
4. Iraqi conference for oil and gas, Ministry of Oil, November, 2019
5. Third Scientific Conference of Postgraduate Researches in Chemical Engineering, University of Technology-Iraq 5- May, 2019
6. The 6th international scientific conference for nanotechnology and advanced materials and their applications, University of Technology, 2018.
7. Second post graduate researches conference/Al-Nahrain University, 2017
8. Second Scientific Conference of Postgraduate Researches in Chemical Engineering, University of Technology-Iraq 10-11 May, 2017.
9. First Scientific Conference of Postgraduate Researches in Chemical Engineering, University of Technology-Iraq 81-19 May, 2015.
10. The First National Conference for Engineering Sciences, 7-8, Nov. 2012
11. Second Iraq Oil and Gas Conference, 23-24 Oct. 2013.
12. Second scientific conference for the modern techniques in petroleum refinery, May, 2013.
13. The first scientific conference for the modern techniques in petroleum refinery, May, 2011.